April 11, 2020 Holy Saturday
On the cross, Jesus cried out: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
Let that sink in.
God felt the absence of God.
We can ponder that for the rest of our lives.
No matter how dark it gets, or how lonely you feel…
God has been there too.
Today is an in-between day. The drama of Good Friday is over. The rush and the anger, the beating and the death. . even the burial is over and done. And now, there is nothing. Nothing at all.
It’s hard to live in this sort of in-between time. We have been through the really bad, and everything tells us there’s something better coming down the line. But it’s not here, not now, and it doesn’t feel as though it’ll ever arrive. More than that, I suspect many of us aren’t sure what “something better” will look like when it comes. When will we be comfortable in crowds again? I’m betting we’ll want to go to the beach, but. . . when it’s not filled with people? Who knows? Today there is no answer but tomorrow is another day.
In the in-between times, when nothing is certain, here’s a song I’ve found comforting ever since I first sang it as a choir member: “God So Loved the World” by Sir John Stainer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lljhbni65pk
Many blessings on this Easter Eve,
As you know, our Thrift Shop is closed, and we are losing that income. If you could send in additional money this month, we’d really appreciate it. All our staff is still on the payroll, we still have utility bills. Your gifts make it possible for us to continue. Checks may be mailed to the church at 5 Gibbs Avenue, Wareham MA 02571.
NEED SHOPPING HELP? Nancy MacNeill reports that her two granddaughters are offering to do shopping for anyone who can’t get out. Just contact Nancy at 508-280-3716 or <firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to add a concern or joy to the list? Email me at email@example.com
- from Oonagh Brault: Please add my friend Lindsay to the prayer list. She has just been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- from Elaine Johnson: Please add my sister Janice to the prayer list. She fell and has a small brain bleed and concussion and severed her ear which needed to be stitched back into place. She is home recovering. (4/9)
- Prayers for all who work in the medical field as they deal with this crisis. (4/7)
- from Nancy MacNeill, prayers for her cousin Pam Bergeron
- from Lydia Sherman: Please add Carrie Andrews to the prayer list. She’s the cousin to my nephew Christopher’s wife… She currently is on life-support and is only in her 30’s.